Monday, March 7, 2011

A Block Disaster!

A Block Disaster!


When I was Foundation Paper piecing this block for Shannon I had terrible problems as I'm a complete novice at this technique. You can read about my trials and tribulations here.
Anyway when I squared it up it came to only 12"! I just couldn't understand it. After all it was paper-pieced. How could I have mucked it up that royally? (Don't answer that.) I puzzled and puzzled over it until I watched a great video link on Foundation Paper Piecing posted by a woman on one of the email lists. And then the light dawned. When I trimmed up each of the eight segments to join them together I didn't add 1/4" to the outside line. I cut EXACTLY on the line! Oh woe is me, now I have to do it all over again!!!! :( Sorry Shannon you'll have to wait a little longer for your block.

4 comments:

Linda G. (Stray Stitches) said...

That's a good lesson for us all. The block is still beautiful. Maybe you can use it in something for yourself.

Q said...

That's a gorgeous block! My first attempt at paper piecing was at a show on display machines, not only was I sewing the wrong sides together and getting my fabrics mixed up, I kept hitting myself with the automatic dropping of the feet on the machine (mine has to be manually dropped onto the fabric) and very nearly sewed through my finger!

Once you get it though, it's quite fun to do especially with the super neat seams and lovely matching points!

Now you 'have it' the second will be much quicker and friendlier!

Lynette said...

LOL! I don't think anyone who does foundation piecing is going to laugh at you! The first time I tried paper piecing two years ago, I had mighty frustrations with it, too. I tripped over a better technique for doing it (and for not wasting enormous amounts of fabric) just a couple of months ago and am in love with it now. It tickled me so much I had to make a tutorial on my blog, even! So don't feel bad AT ALL. (and I can't tell you how many times I, too, cut on the wrong line at first)

Shannon said...

Oh dear!! Please don't stress over it.I am sorry that you are having a bad time with this. I feel so bad.